The Frisky Not Risky campaign aims to raise awareness about where young people can get information and support about sexual health and relationships.
About Frisky Not Risky
We worked closely with the Sexual Health Outreach Team (SHOT) at YMCA Cardiff to gather young people’s thoughts, feelings and experiences about accessing support and information about sexual health and relationships.
What is the SHOT: Healthy Relationships Service?
The SHOT: Healthy Relationship Service provides young people in Cardiff with confidential information, advice and support for anything to do with relationships and sexual health.
The service supports any young person in Cardiff aged 11-25 in lots of things, including:
- Contraception information
- Sexually transmitted infections awareness
- Identifying positive relationships
- Peer influences regarding sexual health
- Pregnancy testing
- Understanding consent
- Sexual risk-taking
- Inappropriate sexual language/behaviour
- Online safety and pornography
- General sexual health knowledge
- Puberty and growing up
- Sex and the Law
Within Cardiff, the SHOT team helps young people access testing and contraception at sexual health clinics. Support can be in both individual and group settings.
During the two-week campaign, we’ll share blogs and social media posts from our exclusive interviews with young people.
If you’d like to be part of the conversation, use the #FriskyNotRisky hashtag!
Here’s what you can expect to see throughout the campaign:
- Elin, 20: We Need to Normalise Talking about Sex and Relationships
- Yasmin, 16: You Could Be in a Toxic Relationship and Not Know It
- Get Clued Up on Consent
- The C-Card Scheme
- Anya, 14: I Now Know What I Deserve from a Relationship
- Ashleigh, 15: More Info Should Be Available in School to Prevent Pregnancy
- Unboxing an STI Kit
- Cai, 14: Being Bisexual Makes People Judge You
- Keeping Safe when Sexting
- Getting Support From The SHOT: Healthy Relationships Service
- Visiting a Sexual Health Clinic
- Tillie, 14: I Didn’t Know How Many Methods of Contraception Were Out There
- Sexual Health Information Page
Getting support from SHOT
To get support from SHOT, you can fill in a referral form. You can make a referral as a young person or ask your parent/carer or a professional you trust to help you.
To make a referral, contact the SHOT: Healthy Relationships Service by emailing SHOT@ymcacardiff.wales or calling (029) 2046 5250.
Check out TheSprout’s Sexual Health information page, where you can find loads of helpful info on local and national sexual health information and support services.
If you’re sharing our posts from the Frisky Not Risky campaign on social media, remember to use the #FriskyNotRisky hashtag and tag us.