Here’s one from the archives, AKA the old Sprout. Want to explore the archives? Dive right in, you’ll find over 5000 articles from 2007 to 2016.
How To Cook Salmon In A Dishwasher was originally published on 14th January 2011 and is by BusyBee1989
Celebrity chef Frances Kitchin has come up with an innovative way to cook whole salmon.
In a recent article published in Total Fishing magazine, she said salmon could be “cooked beautifully” in a dishwasher as opposed to a fish kettle or an oven.
She tested the idea whilst staying in an apartment in Australia, without a fish kettle to hand.
As it was an eco-friendly dishwasher, the water wasn’t hot enough to cook the salmon on the first wash. After putting it through a second time, however, Frances found herself with some very tasty supper to tuck into.
Fancy a go? Here’s Frances’ recipe. Serves 8-10 people.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 whole salmon, around 2-3lb
- Juice of 1 lime or half a lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heavy-duty aluminium foil
- Cut a piece of foil to cover the fish. Brush the shiny side of the foil with oil and place the fish on it. Squeeze on the lime or lemon juice and season well over and inside the fish.
- Fold the foil tightly over the fish to create a watertight seal. Make sure it’s airtight by pressing down on it gently with your hand; it’s important to get this completely right.
- Place the fish on the top rack of the dishwasher, then rub it on a ‘normal’ wash. When the cycle is complete, take out the salmon, carefully remove the foil and skin before serving hot or cold.
The article attracted 9 comments:
Hmmm….. very interesting. One problem.
I don’t like Salmon haha, or any other fish.
Nonetheless, a very amusing article =)
Eww. This makes me all panicky about eating salmon at someone else’s house. Never again. I could see this all going horribly wrong.
Or using their dishwasher!
This has to be a contender for a Sprout award for:
a) Best Article Title
b) Most barking concept!
Thanks everyone for your comments!
If I had a dishwasher I’d definitely have to try this out to see if it works. If anyone is brave enough to give it a go, I’d love to hear how it turns out.
thanks for that i would like to recommend this site it also may help you
thank you very much
AMAZING article – i wish we had a dishwasher now just to cook food in…
Jeff the Fridge
if only u could tell me how to cook it in a fridge and i’m set for life……….If only that bloody chiwawa would get out already
Jeff: You rule.
Do you have a favourite old article that you want to see on the new site? Let us know in the comments below or drop us a message.
Related articles and info:
Click here for the next Sprout Editorial Group meeting.
It’s free and quick to comment below but we recommend signing up with your email or as a guest to keep usernames Sprouty and anonymous (and never post personal details!).
If you want more info on staying safe online, check out our online safety section.