October 1st marks the first day of Black History Month (BHM) in the UK, which has been taking place since 1987.
What is Black History Month?
Black History Month originated in the United States of America, where it is also known as African-American History Month. It takes place every year and aims to celebrate the important people and events in the history of those of African and Caribbean descent.
BHM is a great opportunity for people from all backgrounds to educate themselves on black history and the often-overlooked people who have made a difference in the country.
The theme for Black History Month 2022 is ‘Young People, the Time Is Now’!
How can I get involved?
Alternatively, you can celebrate BHM individually or with your friends. Here’s a list of 10 ways that you can celebrate Black History Month, all from the comfort of your home.
- Support a Black-owned business
- Host a Black film marathon
- Donate to a Black organisation or charity
- Read a book by a black author
- Educate yourself on the Black Lives Matter movement
- Cook a soul food meal
- Explore Black Music
- Learn about an unsung hero in Black History
- Call out racism and prejudice in your community
- Engage in healthy conversations about Black history on social media
Check out these 5 books to read during Black History Month
Prefer to watch TV and film? Get a load of these must-watches during Black History Month
Want to listen to something on the go? Here are some podcasts to listen to during Black History Month.