Taking action for a cleaner Britain!
What is the Great British Spring Clean?
Why is litter picking so important?
There are so many reasons why litter picking is so important! Let’s go through a few:
- Less litter means less chance of harming wildlife.
- Litter picking helps keep environments safe for humans too, especially children.
- Litter looks horrible. By cleaning up, it makes your time outdoors prettier.
- Litter picking can help to save waterways from pollutants.
- You might inspire someone else to litter pick.
What are the personal benefits of litter picking?
Keep Britain Tidy conducted research into the personal benefits in being part of the Great British Spring Clean 2020. Here’s what they found:
- 79% agreed that volunteering helped improve their mood
- 44% agreed the campaign helped them feel less anxious about what is happening in the world right now and
- 43% said it helped them feel less isolated
- 78% feel more pride for their local area
- 64% feel more part of their local community
How can I get involved?
To get involved in The Great British Spring Clean 2021, you can:
- Pledge to pick – You can let Keep Britain Tidy know how many minutes/hours of litter picking you will pledge online, either as an individual or as a group. The time will be converted into miles. The aim is to get to 1 million miles!
- Share the project – Make some noise about the Great British Spring Clean by telling everyone you can about it and encouraging them to get involved. You could tell your friends, family, teachers, youth group etc. You can also share it via social media – you never know who it might reach!
- Learn more about problems with litter – Researching can be reading, listening to podcasts or watching videos on the topics.
- Leave no trace – Make sure you or your friends/family don’t leave any rubbish if you’ve headed out.
- Clue up on recycling – Ensuring the correct disposal of rubbish is key!
- Carry a bag – If you can, remember to bring a rubbish bag with you if you’ve popped out. By simply picking up the litter you see on your day to day travels, you’ll be really helping the environment.
Keep up to date with Keep Britain Tidy and the Great British Spring Clean here.